I have a Solution that will reduce pressure on IIT aspirants but do not know how to get this across to HRD Minister of India. Suggestions are welcome. - Ram Krishnaswamy

Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Woman biker returns home after riding solo across nation on anti-suicide campaign - India.com


As people cheered the young mother returning home, she recounted the positivity she had encountered during her journey. "It's a wonderful feeling, and I have covered 38,000 kilometers in India, all the states and union territories.


By ANI on June 13, 2016 at 2:15 PM


Hyderabad ( Telangana), June 13 : A woman biker who embarked on an anti-suicide mission by riding solo across India reached her hometown Hyderabad on Sunday after a successful stint. Sana Iqbal embarked on a solo countrywide ride on November 23 last year from Goa. After having suffered from depression herself, she wanted to encourage others to never give up in life.

As people cheered the young mother returning home, she recounted the positivity she had encountered during her journey. ”It’s a wonderful feeling, and I have covered 38,000 kilometers in India, all the states and union territories. So it’s a fantastic experience. Wherever I went, I met a lot of people who were very helpful, who really wanted to, you know, do something for the betterment of the society. I mean, I just came across a lot of positivity wherever I went,” she said

During the campaign, Iqbal conducted seminars in several universities on how to combat depression. ”There are two options: one is, we discuss an issue but don’t do anything constructive, only keep pointing out the negativities. The second option is when people choose to correct the wrongs. So that’s exactly what I thought. I love riding. I was interested in it. I thought, if I ride and someone is benefitted because of it, then why not,” he added.

Iqbal has been counseling patients with depression even in the past and plans to continue doing so in the future as well. According to the National Crime Records Bureau (NCRB), 15 persons in India committed suicide every hour in 2014. More than 800,000 people each year worldwide commit suicide – around one person every 40 seconds – the World Health Organisation (WHO) said in September 2014.


Modified Date: June 13, 2016 2:15 PM