Search This Blog

Friday, March 4, 2016


Ahmedabad Mirror | Feb 20, 2016, 02.00 AM IST

A 21-year-old third-year mechanical engineering student of IIT Gandhinagar was found dead at the parking lot of his apartment in Chandkheda on Wednesday. Chandkheda police have registered a case of accidental death and begun interrogation. 

They are also going through the society's CCTV footage. Bhumil Acharya is survived by his parents and a younger brother. According to his college source, although academically gifted, Bhumil was suspended following a harassment complaint by a student in December last year.

Bhumil, a resident of Swati Residency-5 near Sneh Plaza in Chandkheda, had left his home after dinner on the intervening night of February 16 and 17. Around 4 am, his mother woke up and found him to be nowhere in the house. On trying to open the main door, she found it locked from outside. Bhumil's parents called up a relative, Rameshbhai, who lives nearby and came down to open the door. It was he who found Bhumil's body lying in the building's parking lot. Later, neighbours and locals informed the police.

Chandkheda Sub Inspector H B Chavda, who is investigating the case, told Mirror, "We have registered a case of accidental death. Preliminary investigation ascertained that the Bhumil could not have fallen from a height as no major injury mark was found on his body. However, we did find a blood clot near his right hand's elbow. We have also interrogated the society's security guard who claimed of knowing nothing about the incident. We are also scrutinising the CCTV footage of the apartment."

"Currently, we are waiting for Bhumil's family to return from their native place, where they had gone to perform his last rites. After they return, we would acquire his mobile phone to trace his call details. We are also awaiting his post mortem exam report," he added. Dean of students, IIT Gandhinagar, Prof Sanjay Manjalay, said, "Bhumil was academically smart and we had never received any complaint against him before a student registered a harassment and misbehaviour complaint in December 2015. Following that, the institute had to take disciplinary action against him. He was suspended for one-and-a-half years from the college."